Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Butt Shot Fiasco

This tops it all. I went to get my Lupron injection today at the day hospital. As the nurse is preparing the syringe I look and notice that it's the wrong dosage. I can tell by the amount.

Me "Excuse me but, that's a one month dosage."

Nurse "I don't know."

Me "What do you mean you don't know, THAT is a one month dosage."

Nurse "it is 7.5ml"

Me. "Yes that's a one month dosage....I'm suppose to get a 3 month dosage 22.5 ml."

Nurse "I already broke the seal."

Me "I don't care."

Nurse "Well, I can't put it back."

Me "Not my problem."

Nurse "Well if you had said something sooner......."

Me "SOONER THAN WHAT?"

Nurse flipping through my file "your doctor ordered 12 monthly dosages."

Me "When, what's the date?"

Nurse "Yesterday."

Me "Well I haven't seen my doctor since yesterday. I didn't know he changed it and there might be a reason why he has, I will find out from him but, if I hadn't said anything I wouldn't have come back here for 3 months!  If you had just said your doctor ordered you to have monthly dosages we WOULDN'T have had this ugly conversation!"

Nurse "Okay....go behind the curtain."

I don't feel bad in the least for chewing her butt when she then got to jab mine with a needle.

Jesus what if it had been the WRONG meds? Too late already broke the seal? She was more concerned that she had broken the seal on the medication than if she was giving me the RIGHT thing!

I'm not sure what is going on. It's one of three things:

A. It's a new year and new orders had to be written up. If the day hospital called up yesterday for new orders being how busy Dr. Barth it might have just gotten written up monthly (because I was on it monthly for 6 months before switching to every 3 months) by (gasp) mistake.

B. He wants me on monthly because he plans on pulling me off for a while to check on estrogen levels to see if I'm post menopausal now. Which is very likely. Or he wants to do that sometime soon. We talked when I went on the Lupron that we would be doing this but not when or how often

C. My insurance only approved for me to have them monthly. This one I doubt because the 3 month injections are cheaper. And they approved the switch before.

I will call tomorrow and find out.

If you are a patient it's best to be a pain in the ass. A loud one.



No comments:

Post a Comment