Monday, March 19, 2012

Voted off the Island

So I just completed a series of hoop jumping. And not just any hoop jumping but hoops on fire!

It sounded like a nice job. A part time office clerk at a school. 10 months out of the year so summers off. Two locations one less than a mile from my home and the other less than 3. Sounds ideal right?

So I apply figuring I had a snowflake chance in hell and I got email invited to come on down and take a test. So I go. 100 multiple choice guess test. It was a thinker and not easy. At the test, I was told 411 people had applied. 66 were invited to take the test and probably about 50 had showed up. From the test they will be cutting the number down and those making it will get to interview with an oral panel. Oh yipee. So I take the test AND I get an email congrats you made the cut with a score of 93 come on down for the oral panel interview along with 11 other people. The interview was with 3 people from the school district. It went well. And from the 12 there would be 4 that got to interview with the principals for the two job positions. AND I got called. Congrats come on down, you get to interview with the principals. Both at the same time. AND you are ranked 2nd!

Sounds all good but, I didn't get the job. I think the ranking was a bogus and it really should have been we will be narrowing it down to four candidates because really a principal has time to interview more than that?

And here is where our crazy reasoning comes in. The something better is coming. It wasn't meant to be. And all the scenarios. They probably had an in house person and you out scored them.

Sure all these could be true.

But, the truth is someone had to be voted off the island. Well, two of us got voted off the island.


So now I have the choice of feeling a bit beat up and my confidence being bruised and feeling shaky.

OR...damn I beat 411 people to the final round.


And what did I learn? I need to have more confidence in my computer skills. So I need to break down and buy freaking microsoft office 2010. Blast it. And work with it and build my confidence back up. Shit maybe even take a class or two. I've worked with word and excel for years. Years but trying to tell someone about it I found a bit like trying to tell someone you can drive. Well, yes there's a steering wheel you turn and a gas peddle to make it go and a brake to make it stop. Yes I know how to drive.

In my brain you can teach a monkey office software but you can't teach a monkey people skills. So I think I sold my people skills hard and not enough office skills but, there we are back at crazy reasoning.

Someone had to get voted off the island.

No comments:

Post a Comment