Friday, September 30, 2011

A "Sign" of the Times?

So I'm driving down the road the other day and stop at a red light. Over to my right in front of a strip shopping center is a sign waver. He is waving, twirling and moving that sign for a Subway. Bopping to his itunes and making the best of being a sign waver.

Does this work? I'm seeing more and more sign wavers for stores than I ever have. Does it work or is it just the form of advertising that is affordable and is better than nothing. I'm not sure but, it must work on some level or we wouldn't be seeing them. And I think it's just easier for business to actually get people to wave the signs because there are a lack of jobs out there. And that's my best guess.

Then I look over to the left at the strip shopping center across the street. And there is a woman standing there holding a sign. Nope she is not waving this one around although maybe it would help attract attention if she did. No this was a homeless person.

Both these people were holding signs for money. Which makes me wonder if the homeless person wouldn't be better off getting a job being a sign waver.

Which makes me wonder who makes more per hour? The hired sign waver being paid or the homeless person asking for help?

A sign of the times.

No comments:

Post a Comment