Friday, October 7, 2011

One Misfortune Away

You drive past them. There is an increase of them in numbers. They hold signs and stand on street corners and at the entrances to shopping centers.

The homeless.

Today I drove past one as I exited Costco. Well, he wasn't homeless. At least that's not what he was advertising on his sign that said:

Disabled
Need Money
You might not see me but,
God sees you

The sign irritated me rather than invoke feelings of wanting to help. Which means this guy's marketing skills are lacking and needs a new sign.

But, after the irritation wore off, curiosity set in. What are these people's story? The people we pass by holding the signs. Because you know they each have a story. And that story is going to involve a misfortune or several.

We are all a misfortune away from being a sign holder.

So, here is my advice. Amass more money and less stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment