Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Is It Over Yet?

Went and saw Mission Impossible with my son. It was a rocking good time of a movie and after we went to Barnes and Noble since we both have gift cards. On our way into the store, there is a dad in a total panic hustling his way out, with his probably around 8 year old daughter tucked under his arm. The man had that stricken panicked but not terrified dad look, with that shear male determination underneath that was detectable. Man on a mission. He burst through the doors and made his way to the nearby trash can just outside the store where he propped his daughter over the can and then....the retching began. Poor kid. Have to hand to it to dad, not a drop of vomit in sight. Mission accomplished.

Into the store we go and what comes into my view next is a dad standing behind a stroller. Inside the stroller is a sleeping baby. Next to the man is a woman most likely his mom or worse, his mom in law, whose lips are flapping away. As I pass by I hear her say "are you okay with the baby sleeping now? How do you feel, really about the baby being asleep? I just think if the baby sleeps now..." It was 7:30pm, I think it's an excellent time for the baby to be asleep but, what did dad think? I don't know, dad had achieved a glazed over look that clearly screamed he had gone to another realm of reality. Mission accomplished.

The store was a wreck and it is just a mission impossible for me to effectively shop in a wrecked store. It just doesn't happen. All I can see is the disaster and I have to fight from straightening it all up.

My son did find a book and as he was checking out I waited by the exit. Up comes a mom with her not quite 2 year old daughter in a stroller and about a 3 year old son in tow. The son says "mom I'm going to give sissy a kiss right on her head." Mom replies "oh that's sweet." And as the boy leans in to kiss his not quite 2 year old sister on the head, the little girl screeches at the top of her lungs and hauls off and slugs him right in the side of his head with everything she's got. Call me all kinds of wrong but I just bursted out laughing. Mission accomplished.

Christmas is over people.

Mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment