Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Against the Norm

I have been going against the norm, I realized today, my entire life! Not all by choice be here is my account:

I was born in 1962 (I'll do the fast math for you, I'm 49) and I am an only child. Now being an only child in the 60s was a rare thing. I grew up listening to my mother having to field questions like "are you going to have any more children?" "why only one?" "I don't think it's good she won't know how to share." "she'll be lonely". And I had to field questions like "you must be spoiled." to which I would answer "yes I am and don't you wish you were too." and "don't you wish you had a brother or sister?" which got a "don't you wish you could get rid of yours?"

My dad shaved his head I'm not sure when. I don't remember a time when it wasn't shaved but I know it was way before Kojak or the NBA. So when we would go out he would get stared at, laughed at, comments made.

I never attended the first day of school. My mom would take me school clothes shopping on that day because the stores would be re-stocked and nobody was there. It was rather nice. "Nothing happens on the first day anyway." She would say.

Family vacation were often taken during school because well, things were less busy then.

I lived at home with my parents until I got married having to field questions of why I didn't move out. I like my parents that's why. But, nobody likes their parents so I was the 20 something weirdo still living at home. I didn't get it.

Got married. In Las Vegas so everyone thought I was pregnant. Nope.

When we sold our townhome and bought a house, the house was smaller. GASP no one sells their place and moves to a smaller place. What are you thinking?

Then I homeschooled my son. At least I know people who do that! But oh my I won't even go into the list of questions I have had to endure on this subject. I'll have to save that for a whole blog entry on it's own.

When I got divorced we used a mediator. No folks you don't have to use an expensive attorney to get the job done. Okay the mediator was an attorney but we sat down together and hashed it out. No court.

When I got cancer I decided I wanted to do chemo first. It was my suggestion. Who does THAT?

And now I live with my parents. Again I learned on Tuesday that this is also going against the norm.

I went to get my Lupron shot on Tuesday and the nurse says "we need to update your file! It's been awhile." Oh God help me. Updating the file is like enduring the Spanish Inquisition. Do we have to? So she gets to the question who do you live with? They really want to know if you live alone or not. If maybe you need services. So I told the nurse I live with my parents and my 17 year old son in a multigenerational (I like how the word rational is in there) household. Silence. Crickets. And then..... "I'll put down that you live in a house." "Okay, yes, we are not cave dwellers but, a house is what I live IN not who I live WITH, just so we are clear." Crickets.

Seems I've bucked the norm again.

And you know what?

I'm not going to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment