Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sticking around

I went to Hoag today for the complimentary yoga classes they have for their patients. I qualify.

It was nice and surprisingly rather emotional. It was at the cancer center. The center you go to and they do unpleasant things to you. The place where I was radiated and the place where they shoot me in the butt with my lupron. I love Hoag, don't get me wrong, but it isn't a place that gives me warm fuzzies, like Wal-mart. So, it was nice to go for something well, nice for a change.

There were twelve of us. And at one point during yoga I thought, we are all survivors and we are fighting for our lives. We are taking the time for ourselves because we want to stick around longer. And for a moment I felt that being in a separate boat thing that you can feel when you've been diagnosed with cancer. But, then I had a moment of clarity where I realized (not for the first time) that we are all in the same boat. Even when we think we are not. We are. And don't we all want to stick around longer? Don't we take care of ourselves because we all want to stick around?

It put exercise into a different light for me.

And then in the middle of class someone new to yoga shouted out "hey, when do we get to the relaxing part?"

It was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment