Friday, April 22, 2011

Bock Bock Thanks Easter Bunny

Easter is upon us. What a jacked up holiday.

You got Christians celebrating Christ rising from the dead. As a thinking Christian as I like to refer to myself I have issues with that. My Jesus isn't a zombie. The whole idea creeps me out. Not sure what happened there. I often think he didn't really die. Woke up from a coma from hanging on the cross and found himself in a tomb. I don't know.

Easter marks the end of lent. The forty days leading up to Easter where you are suppose to self denial yourself something, fast, pray because Jesus did it for forty days in preparation of going public.


Good Friday sometimes coincides with Passover. That's the "celebration" for Jews of the angel of death "passing over" the door way and not killing off their first born. So we got that in the mix. And Christians celebrate Christ dying on this day. Not sure that makes it "good" but we are talking about using some form of the word good that means holy. Why not just say holy? I don't know.

And then you have Spring Equinox. Well, not this year. But, it sometimes gets thrown into the mix too.

And let's toss in Easter eggs. Easter eggs the symbol for Pagans for the rebirth of earth but was adopted by early Christians as a symbol for the resurrection of Christ because that makes sense.

What a mess. To sum it up, Jesus was a Jew. Trying to come to town to honor the Jewish holy week, just to end up crucified. Christianity gets formed but, overlaps all the Jewish holy holidays. And Christianity when being formed was recruiting Pagans so they tossed a bunch of those traditions into the mix. Then modern day Hallmark comes along and wants in on the action to make a buck and here comes chocolate out the butt. And let's not forget the Easter bunny. On second hand yeah let's forget him because I'm not sure how he figures into to it all.

So, Jesus was a Jew and in honor of him dying we are going to eat ham, which he couldn't eat, and hide eggs for the Pagans, and consume chocolate for Hallmark.

Did I leave anyone out? Probably. Sorry.

I'm doing Easter at my house. Having family over. And plan on just enjoying the time with them.



Happy Easter!

Although really, this holiday confuses me.

No comments:

Post a Comment