Monday, April 18, 2011

How to train your nurse

I had a Lupron shot on the 12th. To recap last months shot was no bueno. The male nurse I had tried to slide the needle in and it hurt. And of course I bitched him out and told him "Your fire!" With the Donald's finger pointing and all.

Well, this month guess you strolls in to give me my shot? Yep, the same male nurse who stops dead in his tracks when he sees me.

I say "I fired you"

"Yeah, I know you did, do you want me to get someone else?"

I'm tempted. I sorely am. But, how are these people going to get any better? So instead I asked him "are you giving up this profession any time soon?"

Ah, nooo.

Well, then you better learn to do it right then. You have to grab my butt and pop that needle in there like a dart. Can you do that? I mean it. No, wussing out.

Yeah, I can try. I can do it.

Okay, let's go.

And he does a much better job. And yes, I let him know. That was better. That is how you have to do it. You can even be a bit more aggressive. But, you got to do it like that otherwise it hurts.

I think all good nurses are made. Made by patients being a pain in the ass and telling them what was no good. How else are they going to learn? It's easy to bitch behind their backs and say man, they sucked. But, how are they going to get better? I'm not popping needles into people for a living. I don't want to pop needles into people for living. But, someone has to. We need people to do this.

I told him if I had him next month I'd let him do it again. And that I expected him to be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment