Thursday, May 5, 2011

Reality Check?

I went to Starbucks this morning. No I'm not a big fan but for reasons of convenience that's where I ended up.

I get my coffee and I'm doctoring it up with sweetener and cream. Sitting on the doo dad they have the coffee paraphernalia on, is a big sign. It basically read:

Due to proposition stupid we have to post this sign.
There is a chemical that you probably have never hear of that can cause cancer. And then you could die. While Starbucks doesn't use this chemical directly in any of our bake goods or coffee, the chemical can result from baking baked goods and roasting coffee. So you could die. But, remember there are other things out there that could give you cancer so, you could just get cancer from those things instead. And die.

No that was not the exact words of the sign but, that is what it said.

I read it and thought oh brother give me a break. I'm trying to drink some bloody coffee here. I don't some fear with it.

A guy walks up with his coffee to the coffee doctoring bar. He is maybe mid 30s. Who knows but not super young. He reads the sign and he says "I don't get it. I just saw a program last night that talked about all the benefits of coffee. How it can maybe ward off Alzheimer's and other stuff and then here's this sign. Seems rather contradictory to me. I don't know what to believe." I looked at him and said "you want the truth buddy, we are all going to die. So you might as well just enjoy your coffee." He looks back at me and says "Yeah. We are all going to die. In the end. I am going to enjoy my coffee." and he ends his statement with a cheerful "you have a really great day!" I reply "Oh God, yeah with that, let's have a nice day."

I'm just forehead smacking myself. He seemed fine with the we are going to die. But, man I just can't walk around pointing that out left and right. I don't know why the friend I was with didn't just shoot me. Or at least kick me.

Enjoy the Hell out of today, because we are all going to die. There's a bumper sticker for you.

2 comments:

  1. But, Pam, it's true! Why not point it out? Especially to a stranger in Starbucks. Maybe not in a job interview though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does it matter how well I can do the job, we are all going to die anyway. Yeah that would be bad! I don't know. We are in Starbucks to enjoy the coffee. Not get the piss scared out of us. Personally I can do that without any help from anyone.

    ReplyDelete