Thursday, July 1, 2010

Food and Fears and Why

There is just a lot of fear with cancer. And I think that people transfer this fear to food because well, there is an area that you have control over. I'm watching Dr. Oz right now. His show is about food that prevent cancer. Ok so far I'm on board with what he is showing because it's nothing crazy. He is just showing eating real food. Stuff not out of a box. Fruits, veggies, grains, protein (yea meat) nuts and spices. Ok nothing earth shattering. But. the idea that eating this way is going to prevent cancer? You can do all the "right" things and get cancer. I was not considered to be at high risk for breast cancer but got it. Truth is 80% of women who get breast cancer are not at high risk. So what the heck is high risk. If you have boobs, you are at risk for getting breast cancer and if you have a family history then you have a higher risk. But, it's not presented to women this way. So what causes cancer and why do we get it? We don't have a medical reason for it. We just don't know. But, the all knowing one here can tell you. We were not made to live forever. Yikes. But, there it is. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not going without kicking, screaming, dragging my feet and hanging onto the door jam!

4 comments:

  1. Our jumpy little egos simply can't imagine a world without us. But life somehow, goes on.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just not ready to go yet. And I'm not planning on it anytime soon! But, I don't want to spend whatever time I do have left shaking in fear over what I eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you are going anywhere yet, and the thought of anyone being able to make you freak out over what you eat makes me laugh really hard.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. You would be right about that.

    ReplyDelete