Tuesday, July 6, 2010

MRI

MRI is complete. I had to bully the tech into setting up my IV. What? you ask. Yes, well they have to inject contrasting dye and they set up an IV for this to make sure the dye goes into a vein. So the guy comes and gets me. Nice man. I'm sitting in the needle poking contraption they put you in. You know, the chair with the padded bar the comes down across you, much like a safety bar on a roller coaster ride. Always makes me feel like they are trying to make sure you don't go anywhere. So I start listing off instructions, this is the vein you want to use, I need to squeeze the ball some with my arm hanging down, then I need a hot pack on it, then you will need to tie it off right here on my arm. Vein should pop up nicely. So he takes a look at the vein and is frowning. I know it looks bad I tell him but, trust me that's the vein everyone gets on the first shot. So off he goes to get the hot pack. And he gives me the ball to squeeze. He comes back and follows the rest of my instructions and then announces with much amazement oh look at it pop up. Yep. Old faithful is popped and plumped up nicely. And then the tech says, I think I'll get Barbara. I say what do you mean you're going to get Barbara and who is Barbara? He says oh she's our nurse and she's really good at this and she is not doing anything. I say ok crap I've scared you. You're scared to do this now aren't you. He says no, no I'm good. I say you can do this. Trust me, you can. You can do this and I'm patting him on the arm. He says ok. So clean the area with the alcohol and poke, barely felt anything and he got it in. No problem. I tell him hey that was good barely felt a thing you did good I told you, you would. And he looks at me and says well we do this all day. I say yea well lots a people do this all day and still some are better than others and I've earned the right to judge.

The MRI machine was a bit different than the one at Hoag and I ended up having to climb on the thing and ungracefully lower my boobs into the cut out holes in the table. Face down, arms over head. Great. Worse part is about five minutes into it, I started getting really bad acid reflux. Mostly due to the table pressing into my diaphragm area. Oh discomfort. The last three minutes I was sure I was going to throw up as the acid was backing up my throat by now. I just kept breathing through my nose because I didn't want to do the test again. Once I sat up, the acid reflux subsided instantly.

Best part though, is that I did good and he said the pictures came out well. None blurry so we didn't have to do any over again.

Now we wait for Thursday to figure out what we are doing next.

Appt. is at 3pm. I'll post as soon as we get home as we are all waiting.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it through! Fingers crossed. Oh the anticipation...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my anticipation isn't that high because I can still feel stuff. Trying not to second guess, but I figure if I can still feel something its because something is there. Now what to do about it?

    ReplyDelete