Thursday, July 8, 2010

It's Gone

I had a 100% response to the chemo. The tumor is gone.

My oncologist came into the room and said you had a complete response, the tumor is gone. I said you're kidding me. What is it that I'm feeling then? Yea leave it to me to argue with my doctor after he tells me the best news I could get. He says well, its probably scar tissue or hematoma. He then pulls up the radiologist report which yep there in black its says no evidence of tumor or something like that. Then he pulls up my MRI and well, sure enough there's the three clips stuck together. Can't see anything else. Dad came in with me and broke down a bit. Major relief. He looked at the pics too. Then Dr. Barth examined me and said ok so what exactly are you feeling. I said this right here. He says put your finger on it. He felt for a long time and said ok that's not tumor tissue. That's scar tissue. I said I agree texturally it completely changed. He says yes its gone.

So what now? We go to surgery. What the surgeon will remove is the original site which is marked by clips. Why? well because that's where the cancer started and we know something went wrong there and we don't want to leave it. So out it comes. What the surgeon removes will be biopsied. There could be microscopic cancer cells left that the MRI would not have been able to see but Dr. Barth said he highly doubted that would be the case as they just don't get responses like this and have microscopic stuff left.

At the end of my visit Dr. Barth says so how are you feeling now? (poor doctor comes in and tells his patient good news just to have her question and doubt it. All I can say is he's been through it before because he was really good at reassuring.) I say I feel really good. And then I ask him how are you feeling? He says yea I feel really good too. I said well, I bet you do. This must feel like a win. He says yes it does. I said well, it doesn't get any better than this.

Will post when I have a surgery date. Dr. Barth will be talking to my surgeon tonight.

Yes it was a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm laying in bed, here at midnight. But inside I'm running around doing victory laps. Rock on!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! What great news. Wahoo!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete