Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Where does bravery come from?

I have been told that I'm brave. My oncologist said it. Many of my friends have said it. I don't particulary feel brave. But, then I was asked how was I facing this? I have also been asked how can I still be cheerful and smiling? I answered these questions without much thought with something along the line of well you just do what you have to do. But, these questions have stuck with me and have been floating around in my brain. So I sat with them. Where have I gotten my bravery from? I know now. I get it from my son. He is watching me deal with this. He is learning how to deal with a crisis by watching me. Somehow I know this.

I have fallen apart a couple of times through this ordeal and he has seen that. But, then he has seen me pull it up again. I'm not superwoman nor do I have to be.

I also know I get it from my Grandfather (who has since past). He was amazing. What life dealt him was not easy but, he kept a good attitude through it all. And I watched and I learned how to be brave.

I know my son is watching. I hope he is learning how to be brave.

2 comments:

  1. You are brave and fabulous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen. I think the bravery is in all of us. We just have to draw it out. I started the surgery guided imagery and I think it is going to help a lot. I need to go get a small mp3 player or Ipod so I can listen to it during surgery. Right now I have it on my Iphone but, I don't really want to take that into the operating room. I'm not going to ask if I can, I'm just doing it.

    ReplyDelete