Wednesday, July 14, 2010

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/ananda_shankar_jayant_fights_cancer_with_a_dance.html

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/ananda_shankar_jayant_fights_cancer_with_a_dance.html

If the dancing part isn't your thing skip it. But, what she says in the beginning pretty much covers it. For me, it was doing "normal" things as much as I could. Lots of imagery work, invisioning the tumor shrinking. Now just seeing the tumor shrink in you mind isn't going to get it to shrink all on its own but, it helps you mentally. I was determined not to make fear based decisions which is hard when you are scared out of common sense at times. I did what I could and needed to do for my mental and spirital self to keep that as healthy as I could while by body healed. Do I feel healed? I do. Today I do. But, in my heart I know its going to take clean biopsies from surgery to confirm it for me.

Thinking back to where I was just three months ago, gripped with fear and having to take xanax just to be sane and where I am today gives me hope and courage to be determined that the cancer will not consume the rest of my life.

Yes, cancer is an uninvited life partner and there will be times in my future (and frequently at first) where I will have to engage with this partner (in forms of follow up test and doctor visits) but, it won't consume me or be my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment