Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ho ho ho..




Oh shit. Christmas is coming. Like a runaway freight train. Full speed ahead.

Now don't get me wrong I like Christmas. What I don't like? The over commercialized, Hallmark bullshit of having to make sure it "looks" right.

Why do we "buy" into this crap. It is like society holds up a picture and says "this is what Christmas looks like" And you know what picture that is? Yes. This one. I know this is Norman Rockwell's Freedom from Want, but, I think it has become the "picture" of what our holidays should look like. Or it is one example.

We are suppose to feel good about the holidays. Right? It is a time to spend with family and friends. Sharing food and gifts. Thinking of one another and appreciating each other. But, what I end up seeing and doing is inverting myself to make sure it is "right". Referring to the picture and finding myself lacking. And then feeling crappy.

My mother called me today. To talk about what we should eat Christmas day. Really? I'm suppose to be thinking about what to eat four weeks from now? I was trying to figure out what to have for breakfast. I just told her, I'm sure we will figure out something. No one will go hungry and it will all be fine. There is only going to be four of us for crying out loud!

My son was the voice of reason this season. Mom do we HAVE to put up the big tree? No.
No?
No.
NO?
NO!
Wow.
Right on mom.

Which made me realize that my son has been watching the craziness of it all and was dreading going through it again.

Yes I put up a tree. My 3 foot table top one. Yes I put up decorations in the house and my lights outside. It took me about an hour. In the past I would usually spend two days putting up crap.

So I'm stopping the insanity. I'm going to do the holidays without stress this year. I'm going to enjoy them and if I start to feel cranky or put upon or not measuring up, I going to flip the bird to Hallmark!

Join me in stopping the insanity and slowing down, take in the twinkle and what, without the crazy, can be truly a magical time of the year.

I encourage you all to find your voice of reason for the season!

OR go find your River....

No comments:

Post a Comment