Monday, November 15, 2010

What is inappropriate?

Had a debate this lovely evening with my teen on what is inappropriate. This debate was in regards to what we watch. Shows, movies and etc. What prompted the debate was that he asked if he could purchase a video game and that it was rated M but that was for violence. I have a no tolerance rule for M rated games in the house. But his argument was that he had already watched the anime show that the game was based on. So I guess the damage was already done in his mind.

I launched into super mom mode of I trust you to self monitor and not watch inappropriate things. To which he asked what is inappropriate exactly? Anything I deem so seemed reasonable to me but, not to the teen. And dang can that boy debate a point. Seriously I smell a lawyer in the house. The issue-a level of violence. To which the teen argued that he is a 16 year old male with lots of testosterone and watching the hero hack away at the villains is entertaining. He acknowledges that it is not my cup of tea but, does that make it inappropriate. He also pointed out that this was drawn animated violence. Much of it fantasy with ridiculous over sized swords. I'm still not buying it and tell him to drop it for tonight I'm done. Will discuss further in the morning.

And as I sit here blogging away and feeling panicked that I have failed as a parent in not monitoring more closely what he has watched. Perhaps trusting too much. Trying not to over manage his life and there for being neglectful. My argument to him was that he could be going down a slippery slope. He has allowed himself to watch this level of violence what is next? His side mom I know the difference between right and wrong I'm not going down a slippery slope it is just entertainment for me. I'm not convinced.

But I just remembered the other night NCIS came on. I asked if he wanted to watch it with me. He said are you crazy that show has way too much blood for me. I watched. I watched the graphic gore of NCIS and yet I am freaking about the fake drawn gore and violence of anime.

I'm going to bed and will think on this more tomorrow.

If you can't watch it with your mother you can't watch it. Is what I am feeling but, know is not realistic.

Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be teenagers
Let them pick their nose and play with tonka trucks
Let them play doctor and fireman and such
Mamas don't let your babies grow up to be teenagers
Keep them in diapers and training wheels
Let them run naked and squeal

No comments:

Post a Comment