Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lovely Day

What creates a lovely day? A day that hold memories. Okay, nice memories. It doesn't have to be grand. It can be simple really.

I had one of those today. Spent with a friend. One of my 2am friends. A 2am friend is one you know you could call at 2am with an emergency or even without an emergency and they would rush over, no make up on, hair standing on end, in their pajamas to help or just be with you. Yes. I'm fortunate to have several of these.

We went to Color Me Mine. A place where you pick out a ceramic doo dad and paint it. Then they fire the thing for you and you pick it up later. That's the part that always feels weird to me. You go in. Spend some time debating on what item you want. Then deciding on what you want to paint. Deliberate on paint colors. Then spend some serious time painting the thing. Then you pay. And then you leave. With. Nothing. Always leaves me with a feeling of wait, what just happened? Then you go back to pick up your thing of beauty. Now that part is rather fun and will happen on Thursday. It is like a surprise. And really it is a surprise because glaze paints are flat and unexciting and not what they are going to look like when fired so, you never really know what the thing of beauty is going to look like until you pick it up.

It was lovely to spend the afternoon, painting, creating and chatting. I made a moon jar. A what? Well, I'll tell you when I get it, I'll take pictures and then explain what the heck that is so stay tuned.

In addition to the sharing and creating, apparently I spouted some words of wisdom or words to consider or I don't know but, my dear friend said I needed to blog it so here it is:

My dear friend made a comment about the imperfection of her thing of beauty to which I responded "if we wanted perfect we should have gone to Macy's and bought one".

We are so critical of our things of beauty that we create. Somehow it never measures up to something. We never feel it is good enough for something. But, those mass produced, inferior, over priced, piece of shit things? oh those are good because.....I don't know. Because everyone has one? Because anyone can get one? I'm not sure. It is socially acceptable to display and have those things, I suppose.

There was a young woman in the store who was painting on a mug and painted an amazing cat. Amazing life like cat. I said wow that's beautiful. My dear friend asked "are you an artist?" The woman answered "no, I just like to paint." After she left I said to my dear friend "she is an artist and just won't say so." But, we are all artists and won't say so. We all have the ability to create. I guess it is the all mighty dollar that defines "artist" to society but, we can all claim it.

Two things just popped into my head. I know, two, shocking isn't it.

Black paper with a drawing of an unicorn in white chalk or white crayon.

A mosaic rooster made with assorted types of beans.

Writing this just made those images pop into my head. Some of you might know these items of which I speak.

Humans create. Go make a thing of beauty and claim yes, yes I am an artist.

I create for it brings me pleasure.

I create for it makes a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment