Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Why my oncologist was catching a flight tonight

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/health/drugs/2011-03-25-bristol-myers-melanoma-drug.htm?csp=34news

The FDA has approved a new drug for late stage melanoma. My oncologist was part of the research team that developed it and was flying out to Dallas tonight for the meeting on the release of the drug.

When you read the article it might not seem like they achieved such a big thing but as my oncologist explained it this is the first time they have been able to achieve this. This being what this drug does. I can't really explain it the article does a better job. But, what is even more exciting is that my doctor said this is really the first step towards finding a vaccine for cancer. And while this is for advanced melanoma their next step is looking at this use for other types of cancer.

Now, that is exciting. And this is not a chemo but, another antibody like I'm on.

2 comments:

  1. God Bless Dr. Barth. I'm just saying. I know he has a personal stake in this field and he is out there improving things.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete