Sunday, July 17, 2011

Peaches in the Summertime....



This song emerged in the US sometime in the 1700s. It gained over 300 lyrics through the years. The version I know, the first line is peaches in the summertime and apples in the fall. But, I love this clip. Every time I watch it, makes me want to learn to play the dulcimer. Lord help me.


I have a peach tree. It did very well this year in its yield. I just wish the fruit would ripen at a nice rate of two per day but, that's not how it works. So yesterday I pretty much cleaned out the tree and made peach butter. Here are the results:

THE HARVEST






I then sliced and peel the never ending pile and placed them in a pot to cook:




Once the peaches were soft, I placed them into a blender and puree away. Then transferred the yummy smoothness back to a pot to cook until reduced to a butter.




End result!

Looks like something that came out of one end of a baby. Doesn't really matter which end either but, it taste goooood!

But, it was not without some incidents like the fact I really started this project too late in the day. A butter is to be cooked down until thick. Like really thick. The directions that I found on the internet said to cook until you could scoop up the butter with a spoon and turn the spoon over and have the butter NOT fall off. Seriously? About 11pm last night is when I decided it was thick enough. I scooped some up with a spoon, turned the spoon over and....it clung for a second or two before it plopped back into the pot. Close enough I decided since I was going for butter and not tar. I turned off the heat and transferred the butter to a container and into the fridge to cool and called it Goodnight Irene!








Keep singing. Keep making. Keep sharing with others!

2 comments:

  1. Loved looking at this you crazy girl! The peach butter sounds awesome. So do the peaches! I like making and canning jam. It is fun. Next year you should enter your butter in the Orange County Fair. Start planning now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think of entering anything in the Fair. I should. I have several things I could enter. Okay next year!

    ReplyDelete