Saturday, July 23, 2011

Today's Harvest



Today I went to the new farmer's market down the street from my house. For you local readers that's at Ocean View High School on the corner of Warner and Gothard.

There are only a couple of vendors there but, I like that. I get the strawberries from the berry guy. $5 for the 3 pack you see here. Next to him is the avocado guy. He also has some fruit but, I get his avocados. Large 2 for $5. There's fruit, nuts, veggies. The asparagus I got for $2. Pencil thin. I like those. Then there' the chicken lady. Fresh eggs I got the 6 for $1.90 (I gave her $2). They are good! Worth the extra over what the eggs cost at the store. AND the chicken. Whoa. The chicken you see was killed yesterday. Yep. $6 for 2 pounds of whole legs that's thigh plus the legs. There were 5 in the package. This is USDA inspected safe stuff but, locally grown in Anaheim and slaughtered yesterday chicken. So I'm skeptical on the yesterday part until I open the package and there is no smell. No chicken smell. You know that smell that raw chicken has? This chicken doesn't have it. I salt, peppered and garlic the chicken and baked it. Oh... MY....GOD! Best chicken EVER! Tender. Never had chicken that tender. Juicy and the taste. Taste like chicken only I never really knew what chicken tasted like before today. Amazing chicken.

And so I encourage you to go seek out your local farmer's market. The food there will be fresher, better quality and most of it cheaper. My haul today cost me a total of $20. Not bad.

And this is the only kind of hoarding I'm allowed now because it will ALL be consumed!

No comments:

Post a Comment