Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Dressing Room

Well I can tell that the dressing room for radiation is going to be a place for fodder for my blog. Yes, the dressing room.

The dressing room is also the waiting room for patients only. And of course there is a men's and a women's. So inside the room is changing cubicles like at a department store. Lockers to put your stuff in but, no locks and the rest is a waiting area with chairs, magazines, water and TV. So you sign yourself in at the main lobby and head on back. Wow you don't have to wait for someone to lead you. It's kind of nice. On Monday's you stop by the scales and weigh yourself and step over to the desk and write your name and weight down on a piece of paper and deposit this into a box. Sweet. The off to the dressing room where you grab a gown, change and put your stuff into the locker. Have a seat and wait for them to call you over the PA. I had just walked into the dressing room when they called my name, I yelled back "I have to change" then I look at the one other woman in the room and ask "can they hear you?" She says "I don't know, do you want me to go tell them you are changing" I said "no, that's OK it's not like they can start without me" Then her name was called so she had to go.

Yep. Just as I had suspected they didn't start without me.

I'm done and back to the dressing room I go. There is the woman I had seen earlier. All dressed and sitting. We get to chatting. She tells me that she has some sort of duct cancer. It must be the liver because she said they found it when she woke up one morning all jaundice. Yikes. She said she opted not to do surgery because it was a huge procedure and took over 12 hours.

She went on to say that it takes a long time for your body to recover from it and to start functioning again and that at the age of 82 she simply did not have that kind of time for healing.

"I do not have that kind of time for healing" Purity. The energy behind that statement was so pure. I don't know how else to describe it. I was blessed to be in its presents. No fear, no panic, not even quiet acceptance. It's hard to describe it other than pure. And maybe you have to have cancer to appreciate it.

She said that the surgeon said he was going to be really agressive with her. And she told him no not with this body your not. So she is doing chemo and radiation and the woman looked fantastic. I would have guess late 60s early 70s not 82.

Tomorrow is another day. I wonder what blessed event the dressing room will provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment