Thursday, September 2, 2010

Shit

My oncologist called me.

It's HER2 positive.

Herceptin by IV every three weeks for a year here I come.

Can it get worse? Oh you bet your sweet ass it can.

There is another gene (I'm hating genes right now) that if it's is over express (meaning you have more than you should) it works with the HER2 and makes even a more aggressive cancer so guess what? If this other gene (the name is crazy long) is over expressed I get to do a chemo drug with the herceptin because this chemo drug kicks up the herceptin.

But, if that other gene is not over expressed then just the herceptin alone. Which is not a chemo by the way.

Oh just look on the bright side of life! Fuck it.

AND we don't even know if any of this is necessary because we don't know if any of the microscopic buggers escaped from the tumor! This is all just in case.

I just can't take the risk of two years down the line having a recurrence and then saying oops guess I should have done the herceptin. If I was 92 years old yes let's skip it. But, I'm not there yet.

It is not the treatment, but the big unknown that is driving me nuts.

Cancer Sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment