Thursday, December 2, 2010

Ease of use creates....

....a mother fucker load of work, I tell you.

About five years ago in a fit of re-decorating my (back then our) bedroom, I choose two mount on the wall light fixtures. I was so clever. Two to be mounted above both sides of the bed. We could read in bed. AND I chose light fixtures with those easy to use touch features. Wow. No more having the strenuous task of having to turn a light switch. Oh no. Just reach up and touch. Touch again and brighter. Touch again and brighter still. Yes a three way dimmer touch light.

Now five years later the touch light switch sensors have burned out. No more touchy light. Now I blogged about this whole tale quite some time ago. But, I was using the other light and now it is poof too. So now at night after 5pm when it gets dark, I'm sitting in the dark. Guess I actually have to DO something. So off to Lowes I go. And guess what? Yes they have replacement sensors. I buy one and today I decided to tackle this chore.

I take apart the light to see if the sensor looks like it will work. I have no idea really but the current sensor has four wires and the replacement has four wires so something has to work.

Hold everything. Unplug the light. Yes, I'm not that clueless. I would be really pissed to have gone through everything I have this year just to end up frying my ass over a stupid touch light.

How hard can it be to unplug a light? You wouldn't believe it. I'll tell you and you still won't believe it.

I have a platform bed. Someone tell me these things are now against the law. I bought said bed in 1989 because my ex wanted a water bed. And we were newly married. And in luvvv. And well a water bed sounds really appealing to young newly married people. The water bed did spring a leak way before the marriage did and the water bed went bye bye. But, not the platform bed. No I missed my chance on that one. We got a pillow top mattress that weighs five tons and put that on the platform bed. And I still have it. The bed and mattress. The whole thing.

So what's the problem? The problem is I have a wall of bed. A SOLID wall of bed and no access to the wall. At all. The wall that hold the outlet to which the lights are plugged into. And I know I've gone through this routine but, it has been a while. I took out one of the drawers in the platform bed sure that I could reach through that way. No. It is solid in there. I think I have to pull five ton mattress off bed and lift off the ply wood slats and then maybe MAYBE I can reach the wall. But, I have a sinking feeling that the bed has to be taken apart to reach the wall.

We really didn't do this did we? Surely I made him use an extension cord to the wall so that the cord could be pulled out though some small gaps at the sides and unplug the lights? No. No I didn't. I must not have been supervising that day.

My other alternative is to go throw the breakers on the house and replace the sensor that way. But, that always makes me nervous. I like to SEE that the fixture is no longer plugged in.

It would be the easier way but, ease of use causes......

I'm done thinking about this today and will try tackling it this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Just turn the power off to the bedrooms at the circuit breaker for the house or the whole house. Nothing like using using a wood chipper when a pocket knife will work!

    Sorry, I'm being helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've decided when I'm feeling better and up to tackling this project to just throw the breaker on the house.

    Oh Let there be light!

    ReplyDelete