Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Monkey Brain

Well, if you are up to the challenge of reading today's post then hang on because I have a bad case of monkey brain. You know, where your brain is bouncing all over the place and having a hard time staying on topic. Anyway I'm blaming this condition on the stupid head cold I have. Thus the lack of posting for the last few days. The head cold has now gone into the coughing up lungs stage. My brain finally turned on and I pulled out my GSE. Had the brilliant idea of mixing it with the airborne I was about to chug. Good Lord what was I thinking? GSE on its own is like drinking your own vomit (opposed to drinking someone else's which tastes completely different)mixed with airborne and it was foaming vomit. Yeah. I lived. Barely.

On the cancer front, I have an appointment with Dr. Barth for the 17th of Jan. He didn't want to see me for 6 weeks unless I was lighting stuff on fire from the Lupron. Which is doing nothing but, it gave me a period. Oh joys. Yeah, well, it does this initial "flare" which all I can think is lupron chemical with buttons all over it. Your estrogen levels spike and then crash and then stay down. So the colorful button "flare" of the lupron caused this period. I'm guessing. I did have one in October due to me falling out of menopause. But, I think it has been over 40 days. You know at this point, whatever. I looked up the hormone and menses cycle, and it didn't make any sense to me. A graph with colored lines going all over the place. To me it looked more like my brain activity than my body cycle. Anyway, I'm still waiting for hot flashes or something and so far. Nothing. And I'm thankful. Just thankful for that.

I have my next herceptin next Tuesday the 14th. It will be number 6 out of 18. I will actually be one third of the way through. Right? Someone check my math. Seems right. I have to do this for a year and will be finished in August 2011. December is my fourth month so yes a third of the way through. Time flys when you are having fun and even when you are not.

The holidays are upon us in full force. For me the biggest evidence of this is the mail. Huge piles of colorful ads in the mail. It's crazy. My mailman didn't make it to the house last night until after 5pm. He was wearing a light headband so he could see as it was dark. I still have a bit of shopping left that I WANT to do. And some Christmas cards I WANT to get out. I have decided to boycott the "HAVE TO" phrase. My HAVE TO plate is full. So I have started to replace "have to" with "want to" and it does make a difference. Seems to lower the irritation levels quite a bit. I want to get the laundry done just doesn't seem to raise those dread levels nearly as much.

Today is going to be a pajama day recovering from this stupid cold. I want to get the laundry finished and I want to get one Christmas card mailed. I also plan on watching some anime with Chris and watching some Battlestar Galactica (new version non kid friendly) on Netflix instant.

And battle monkey brain. Stay on target, stay on target!

3 comments:

  1. So maybe that flare part is a kind of controlled perimenopause then? The introduction of the Lupron causes a reactive surge of estrogen production before all the signals get straightened out or something. Hm. Really just thinking out loud here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It stimulates one of the glands in your brain (I forget which one tells your body to make estrogen) and then basically burns it out so it stops. I don't think it stops working all together but, it stops telling your body to make more estrogen. So thus the "flare" and then "crash". Honestly I didn't try to wrap my brain around understanding too much because I really don't want to know since my other option is surgery.

    ReplyDelete