Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Severed Relationships

This is my official notice of my permanent break up with the OC Register.

I miss my Sunday paper I really do. Sitting with something hot to drink, perusing through the mindless ads. Every once in while getting totally outraged over something I read. I miss it. The Sunday paper fed my soul in some low level meaningless way.

But, I broke it off with the OC Register after a failed attempt at having just the paper delivered on Sundays. Apparently the Register wanted more from me than I could emotionally give. The Register wanted and needed a bigger commitment from me and I was just sadly unable to comply and fulfill it's needs.

It started off fine. This seemingly harmonious relationship of ink paper media and reader. A paper to be delivered every Sunday for a price of $8 for 8 weeks. I'd awake on Sunday morning and put on a pot of coffee. Walk out to my driveway and pick up the rolled paper neatly wrapped in plastic. Settle in for a nice self indulging read. Oh those where the sweet days. Those first 8 weeks of a blossoming indulgence. But, oh sigh, then I got a paper on a Friday and Saturday too. I just didn't want to see that much of the OC Register. I didn't have any extra time to spend with it. And so I called to discuss this uncomfortable situation. I was told it was the same price. But, I don't want it I explained to no avail. The paper kept coming and I kept throwing the unwanted attention into the trash. Then the bill came. WHAT? Oh no. The same price was a farce. Now the Register was trying to get $26 from me. So I called. After much debate and discussion and denials from the Register, I gave up and just broke it off completely. Just cancel the paper completely!

And the following Friday there it was sitting on my driveway again. I called and was told it is now canceled only to get the paper again.

Finally, I got a hold of a supervisor and said I just don't want the paper. Again the hard sale to try and keep me. I said to the woman "look I know breaking up is hard to do but, my divorce wasn't this difficult". She finally relented. And I haven't gotten a paper since.

That was almost one year ago.

But.....since then, the Register calls me about 5 times a day. Like a stalking jilted lover wanting to get back together. I have answered and said "I don't want the paper!" and hang up quickly. No success, the calls keep coming.

I do miss my Sunday paper but, the price is just too high.

No comments:

Post a Comment