Thursday, August 5, 2010

I just had to be right

I knew the fucker wasn't gone. It was hiding really well. I saw the MRI before and after. I saw the mammogram before and after. It was hiding I think behind the scar tissue and other crap. Here is proof, solid proof that while a mammogram is all we have, we don't have a good early detection system. The tumor had shrunk from 2.5cm to 1.6cm which means a cancer tumor of 1.6cm was able to be undetected on a MRI and mammogram. Fuck the imagery I knew I was still feeling something.

So what do we have? The chemo did a lot. It shrunk the tumor significantly so that my surgeon had an easier time. I got clean margins which means she got it all and I don't have to have a second surgery. I had a negative lymph node so the cancer didn't go into the lymph nodes. What else? The grade of cancer dropped from 3 to 2. Chemo killed the cancer enough to change how aggressive it is. The Ki-67 (how fast its growing) has gone from high proliferation 80% to low less than 5% (this is huge). Mitosis score dropped from a 3 (highest you can get) to 1 (lowest you can get). According to the pathology report the cancer cells look different than they originally did. They have smaller less pleomorphic nuclei. What does that mean? I don't know either, will be looking it up but its part of what down graded the cancer from a 3 to 2.

In the end, my oncologist is not going to be happy. I'm bracing myself for more chemo which I'm sure he is going to want to do. I have a high recurrence score.

Well, shit on a stick.

4 comments:

  1. You just had to say you were bored, didn't you? Oh my, 1.6 cm can be undetectable, that is troubling! I am really happy about the good news parts - really interested in hearing more about pleomorphic nuclei. Hang in there, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know we're here, call if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit on a stick is right!! Now that said, it's gotten better. Keep us posted what it means. Hugs to you Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hanging I'm hanging. You know I said I was going to wait for the biopsy.

    ReplyDelete