Thursday, August 26, 2010

I knew the correct answer

Met my radiologist oncologist. I like him. He asked me how old my son was. I responded 16. He asked so he is in the 11 grade? I know the answer to that question, it's yes. But, when faced with a doctor I find I might has well have been injected with truth serum. So out comes oh I homeschool. Let's just say I shook the man's snow globe hard. He asked me more questions about homeschooling than I asked him about radiation!

I am scheduled for simulation on the 31st. That's is where they will put me in a simulated machine and take measurements. They will be radiating the entire breast 25 times and then the actual tumor site 8 times for a total of 33 rads. 33 drives to Hoag hospital. It could be farther and worse. The simulation will take about an hour and each visit about 15 minutes. I will see a nurse once a week and the radiologist oncologist once a week. Side effects are anything from light sunburn to tanning to blistering and peeling. The blistering and peeling they don't want happening so they gave me a list of creams and things to use. The side effects don't come on suddenly like with chemo it's a slow gradual thing and nothing will be noticeable the first two weeks. Or so they say. I think they name of the game is moisturize, moisturize. The other side effect is fatigue but, with those that have had chemo they don't notice it.

So simulation on the 31st and I'll start treatment either 2nd or 3rd.

Guess I'll start another count down.

No comments:

Post a Comment