Friday, October 15, 2010

Decisions Decisions

Lupron vs ovary removal. Oh joys. We are finally at the point of what to do about the estrogen. Here's the deal. My cancer was estrogen receptor positive and not mildly which means it was getting signals from estrogen in my body to tell it to grow. In case there was any escapees we need to address the estrogen in my body.

So my estrogen level in my body current is at 47. Needs to be below 30 for me to be considered in menopause. Two ways to get it there. One remove the ovaries. Two Lupron which is a drug that shuts down the ovaries. I would get a shot in the butt once every three months. Side effects are menopausal ones. Hot flashes, hoo ha dryness and all that jazz. Remove the ovaries and well that puts you into instant menopause with the side effects being menopausal, hot flashes, hoo ha dryness and all that jazz.

Now estrogen is also made in other parts of the body so the goal here is to get the estrogen levels down to the menopause level so I can take an aromatase inhibitor. What's that? Well, here's the load down, starve the cancer of estrogen (menopausal levels is starving) and the fucker says fine I'll just make my own using nutrients from your body. So the aromatase inhibitors stop that function from happening.

Either choice Lupron shot or ovary removal. I have to take the aromatase inhibitor. It's a pill. For five years. Because the first five years are the high risk of recurrence years.

And the envelope goes to.....Lupron. For now. I am not in the mood for another surgery.

I have my next herceptin Nov. 2. Dr. Barth wants to test my estrogen levels again and see me that week. Well, we all know it's not going to be lower. I think he is just giving me time to make a decision.

My thought is I don't want another surgery right now. I just don't. I'm still healing. I can take the shot in the ass and see how I do. If I just don't like the side effects I can have the ovaries removed. If I'm OK with the Lupron I would be on it until my body was in menopause. Who knows how to figure that out. But, I have a feeling I will most likely have the ovaries removed, I'm just not up to it right now.

Bottom line is ALL women go through menopause one way or another. Mine is just being forced.

No comments:

Post a Comment