Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bald Momma

Ok well, never thought I would be a bald momma. But, here I am. And I'm amazingly please with my head. I have a rockin shaped head! Bequi did a beautiful job. Miles, Hanna and my dad watched. Now how many kids shave their heads with their dad
watching! Bequi took pictures of the whole process. I can now say that during my life I had a mohawk. For about 20 seconds. I'll post pics when I get them from her.

I think what has taken me by surprise is the immense relief I feel. I had to sit with that and here's the deal. There is so much anticipation with this journey, am I going to like this doctor, what are they going to tell me, what is that test going to show, how am I going to respond to treatment and the list goes on and on. And now that, when exactly is my hair going to fall out, what is that going to look like, at what point should I shave it has been removed, its such a relief and very empowering. The fuzz left on my head fall out, but its no mystery to what I'm going to look like.

And I really like rubbing my hand over my head. Its this texture and sound it makes right now that is amazingly soothing. It just plain feels good.

So, Bequi lovingly shaved it, Miles wanted to touch it and did and Chris, my beautiful Chris, when we got home he looks at me, and I say are you ok? and he says I want to kiss it. And he did.

5 comments:

  1. It does feel cool, doesn't it? When I used to shave the side of my head I'd pet it all the time! Hahahha!

    I loved shaving your head, thank you for honoring me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet of Chris. I can feel, from your description, how empowering it is to be the one to decide when and how you will remove your hair. And how lovely to have a dear friend be the agent of change. My head is shaped funny, I just know it.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this post a bit earlier and became teary-eyed, yes, and at work! Yes, your beautiful Chris, indeed!!! I am glad you have a happy head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the pics on Bequi's blog. I teared up big time. You look so gorgeous - just like I thought you would. I loved Chris's response, I can just imagine how he looked and sounded when he said it.

    I've had this fantasy about shaving my head for quite a while. Guess I should look at what's stopping me.

    You're doing great work over there. Hope it goes well today. Let me know if you need anything.

    April

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very pleased with my bald head. Can't say right now if its a look I will keep. But, I do love rubbing it. Very soothing. And I'm thinking man oh man would this solve a lot of hair issues when camping!

    I think I have a rockin' head.

    ReplyDelete