Monday, April 12, 2010

Outrage

The U.S. Preventive Task Force has come up with new screening guidelines for breast cancer. And I'm outraged. Totally want to smack someone in the head and give them my cancer!

They have advised changing the age a woman has her first mammogram from 40 to 50 and declared that self breast examines do not decrease deaths from breast cancer but, just cause anxiety and unnecessary test!

Martina N. had commented on this during her interview and I hadn't had a chance to look it up. She said what?, the cancer is going to wait until you're 50!

Well mine didn't and if I hadn't been doing self breast examines and just waiting until I was 50 for my first mammogram dear God that's another 3 years! I'd be dead!

There is not an effective early detection method for breast cancer so, we are going to reduce our efforts to try and find it early?

This is so stupid its outrageous and I'm going to be writing a letter this week.

I just feel like this is a slap in the face to women. Breast cancer is the number two cancer killer of women.

Damn I hope this is not an prelude to what the new health care is going to be in this country. But, if this task force says you don't need one until you're 50 you aren't going to be getting one paid by the national health care until you're 50. And at the same time private insurance will adopt the same policy. Which means if women want to have a fighting chance against this disease they are going to have to pay out of pocket and that means a lot of women are not going to be getting mammograms.

The death rate for breast cancer has been steadily decreasing over the last 10 years for a variety of reasons. Watch them start to rise.

Outrageous!

No comments:

Post a Comment