Friday, April 23, 2010

Chemo first round

Yesterday was a long day. First chemo cocktail took 5 hours. That is because they introduce this stuff to you slllooowwwwllllyyyy the first time in case you have a reaction. If you have a reaction they can stop it and then resume the treatment. Good news is I didn't have a reaction to either drug. My next three round will take about 1 1/2 hours now that the know they can crank it up.

My chemo nurse Rachel. Rocks. I heard her in the nurses station, she shaved her head and she hasn't even started treatment yet! I told them the day before I was going to. She said I was brave. I said not really I didn't want to watch my hair come out in clumps.

So she had a very specific regime for me to follow yesterday and today vs what the physician assistant had told me during my chemo 101. PA had said take as needed for nausea. Rachel nope. She wanted me taking my zofran at 7pm. Did. Take my ativan at bedtime did. Eat and take another zofran first thing in the morning did. She said I would most likely wake up with a crummy stomach and to get something down and take the zofran. Well, I'm pushing fluid which mean forcing water down. Yesterday was peeing ever 30 minutes. Only symptom I had yesterday was mild acid reflex. And it was not normal acid reflex because I would drink water and then it would go away for about 30 minutes. Then come back. I decided it was my body's way of telling me to drink more water. Last night I woke up every two hours to pee, would drink more water and eat a couple of crackers. Woke up this morning at 7am. Hungry! Ate 3 of my daddy's fabulous crepes. Took my zofran and am now blogging. Yea Rachel rocks listening to whatever she tells me do to. She wants me on a different anti nausea regime for my next round. She called in the perscription. I couldn't do it this time because you have to take one pill before chemo, on the day of and one the day after. But she really wants me doing that next time. I trust her. This is what she does, takes care of chemo patients everyday.

I go back to Dr. Barth's today at 3:30 for my nuelestra (sp?) shot. This shot will stimulate my bones to make blood cells. This will keep my counts up. Downside will make me achy. Was told to take advil and I think was told to take three. Will confirm that today.

I was a human pin cushion this week. Monday breast needle biopsy for additional tissue-6 pokes, Tuesday nothing done to me, Weds. blood drawn 2 pokes (one failed),Thursday chemo 1 poke (they know the vein to use now) Today one poke hopefully. Total for the week 10. I am so looking forward to this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment