Saturday, April 17, 2010

Breast Conservation Surgery



I realized that I said I was going to have breast conservation surgery but, didn't really explain how cool this really is. Ok this is not an lumpectomy. With a lumpectomy they scoop out the tumor and surrounding tissue leaving a divot in the breast, but not removing the whole breast. Not cosmetically pleasing but less invasive than a mastectomy.

Dr. Melvin Silverstein who co founded the first breast cancer center in the U.S. in Van Nuys, Ca. developed and pioneered breast conservation surgery. Dr. Guerra my surgeon did a fellowship at I believe it was USC under him. He then became the head of the breast cancer center at Hoag and he recruiter her (Dr. Guerra) to Hoag. She is his protege and apparently just amazingly talented at this surgery.

The video is safe to watch its just Dr. Silverstein talking no pictures. You also get to see where it all began. This is Hoag's Breast Cancer Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment