Saturday, April 24, 2010

TMI

But I know there are those out there who like to really know the details. These are the chemo drugs they are giving me Cytoxan (Cyclophophamide) got 1000mg and Taxotere (Docetaxel) 120mg. Cytoxan disrupts the cancer cells and kills it, Taxotere also does this plus damages the cancer structurally. Taxotere comes from the mesquite tree bark. Then they harvested it from the European mesquite tree needles. Now they have a synthetic form. Its 33% more effective than the chemo it replaced and more tolerated. Now that's pretty amazing something that works better and isn't as hard on you. Other drugs Zofran for nausea, working have none so far. Ativan nice anti anxiety, anti nausea go night night drug. Works nice at night. Prisolec for acid. Neulasta shot given yesterday. She said I would have bone pain about 4 hours after injection. Slight but nothing noticeable enough that I needed any Advil. Slept fine. Looked the drug up and the bone pain happens 57% of the time so its not a for sure thing. So we were prepared but so far nothing bad.

Dad was wondering if they had given me the right stuff since things have been quiet. I told him Dr. Barth said with the chemo regime I'm getting nausea happens less than 5% of the time and they don't want you getting nauseous. I'm following all eating instructions and medication instructions.

This first round is suppose to be a pretty good indicator of how my next three will do. So I know what to do to keep things quiet. I'm feeling good about that. What will increase during treatment is fatigue. I will be getting more and more fatigued as this goes along. I think that's a combo of physical (poison being pumped into you) and emotional.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, please keep posting this info. So happy that it's so far, so good! Oh, OK, Neulasta is the injection they gave you afterward - I have not researched any of these drugs yet but planning to do so. Cancer treatment has come so very far in twenty years! Somehow your journey is causing me to re-examine my father's death much more than I expected....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, for clarification because my last comment sounds quite morbid - my father died from cancer twenty years ago, coming up in June. I never gave it much thought, it all happened so quickly, I was still sixteen. There was nothing they could do, he was too sick to even consider chemo being beneficial, i.e. the chemo would have poisoned him to death before eradicating the cancer (which was already widespread when they discovered it).
    I have realized the fact that I am a bit extra-worrisome about you is directly related to my dad.
    That said, your prognosis is great, your treatment is going well and you are one strong woman! I know you are going to be OK, you fantastic woman, you!
    Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete