Thursday, April 8, 2010

PET scan

What is PET?

Positron Emission Tomography (PET) is a powerful imaging technique that holds great promise in the diagnosis and treatment of many diseases, particularly cancer. A non-invasive test, PET scans accurately image the cellular function of the human body. In a single PET scan your physician can examine your entire body. PET scanning provides a more complete picture, making it easier for your doctor to diagnose problems, determine the extent of disease, prescribe treatment, and track progress.

Basically what I found is that cancer being a fast growing cell eats up sugar like crazy. Thus the radio active sugar that is injected into you will be concentrated in areas where there is cancer and the dr. can tell where its spread. Or in future if its come back. Yippee!

The will administer this to me in an iv and then I have to lay still and not move or talk for an hour while its getting eaten up by the cancer cells where ever they maybe. Then they put me into machine where I have to lie still while they scan me. Much like the MRI only I don't think I will have to be face down this time.

Oh lord I hope I can take my xanax. Forgot to ask and left a message for the tech doing it to see if I can. Worse case if I don't hear back from her (but I really feel I will tomorrow) then I will take the pills with me and ask when I get there. This is a really touchy test because its trying to measure cellular activity so all kinds of things can throw it off. I don't want to mess it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment