Saturday, April 17, 2010

Solidarity and Support

Ok people I have decided to just address this issue up front and center.

My mom is now wearing scarves in show of support. I have heard on the wind of things from wearing T-shirts to shaving heads.

So I decided it was time to step in and since this is pretty much my show, let you know where I stand on this.

I know you all love me. And you are all going to stand at the outer ring of that fire and cheer me on as I walk through it, you're all willing to toss stuff to me and to shout out directions. But, the reality is I actually have to walk through that fire alone.

Now if anyone wants to wear a scarf, shave their head or wear a T-shirt to relieve that feeling of helplessness and to feel proactive, have at it. Its all good and (ok this is a loud internal dialog that I keep writing and deleting because I know someone is going to take it wrong or feelings are going to get hurt but really I mean this in the most loving way so please take it that way...it frankly has amused the hell out of me).

Now if you want to consider my preferences...what would really show me support is if you get your butt into your doctor and get a mammogram. Commit to monthly self breast examines and if you don't know how to do one, learn, AND this is the biggie, if you do find something be brave enough to get your butt back into the doctors ASAP. Then I can add you to the score card. I would really like to see that number go up. And I want to thank D. for being the first and making that step because I know its a scary one.

Love you all.

2 comments:

  1. Aw man, I was looking forward to something finally pushing me over the edge to shave my head!
    You know I am deeply committed, now, to taking care of my female self. I cannot wait to earn my place on your score card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm holding a spot on the score card for you! But, save your hair.

    ReplyDelete